Opportunities within the County Team are listed here. If you feel that you have the required skills and expertise for any of the roles listed below then please do apply. We have a dynamic and exciting team in West Mercia and we are always after enthusiastic people to join us.
The following vacancies are available:
To support the County Commissioner in encouraging and supporting growth across the County.
To understand, embrace and lead achievement of the County plan to achieve County growth goals.
To work closely with District Commissioners, sectional Assistant County Commissioners and relevant Growth facilitators to encourage, support and deliver growth in the Districts within West Mercia.
To collaborate closely with the Assistant Regional Commissioner Growth, the Regional Services Team and local volunteers to deliver growth through targeted projects and initiatives.
Have a good understanding of strategies and tools to achieve growth (and in particular the TSA growth strategy). Understand the importance of the quality of programme delivery and its impact on growth. Be able to build a positive and active relationship with District Commissioners, sectional Assistant County Commissioners, Local Growth Facilitators, County Development Volunteers, Local Development Officers, the Regional Services Team and others engaged in supporting growth.
Be enthusiastic and proactive and able to enthuse others.
Able to travel throughout West Mercia and have the time necessary to undertake the role effectively.
County Commissioner, Deputy County Commissioner, Assistant Regional Commissioner Growth, other Regional Growth Leads, District Commissioners, sectional Assistant County Commissioners, the County and District Media Teams, Regional Services Team, District and County Youth Commissioners.
The role of Assistant County Commissioner Events is to maintain and manage the work of the Events Team and oversee events throughout the County.
• Co-ordinating and supporting the County Events Team
• Maintain essential working relationships within the County
• Promoting National Events
• Innovate and promote new events within the County
• Events Publicity
• Other roles as required
Other main contacts:
• County Chairman, Deputy County Commissioners and their teams, DCs, ACCs, Media & Digital Teams.
• Help build an events team and ensure that team members have clear roles, responsibilities and goals. Co-ordinate and review their work.
• Ensure the correct marketing of events take place through the website and social media.
• Work with the Communications Team to ensure everyone is aware of what is taking place with the County.
• Encourage and support Districts in relation to their needs.
• Maintain a list of preferred suppliers to be used at County and District level.
• Work with District teams and give advice on running District events.
To support the County Commissioner in providing administrative support to West Mercia Scouts.
County Commissioner, Deputy County Commissioners, Assistant County Commissioners, District Commissioners, the County and District Media Teams, Regional Services Team, District and County Youth Commissioners and other members of the County Team.
• To assist with administrative support to the County Commissioner
• To assist with administrative support to the County Team, as defined by the County Commissioner
• To provide general administration which will include:
• Day to day telephone / email communication.
• Support to Awards
• Filing and archiving of records (electronically)
• Administrative support for County Events, where appropriate
• Photocopying and printing as required
• To assist with enquiries to West Mercia Scouts
• To undertake such other duties that may be reasonably required by the County Commissioner or other
The Secretary will support the Chair of the Executive Committee to ensure the smooth functioning and sound administration of the Scout Group, District or County/Area/Region in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
The West Mercia Scout Council.
Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies).
It is expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
The responsibilities of the Secretary:
Provide administrative support to the running of the Executive Committee.
Act as Secretary for the relevant Scout Council.
Work with the Chair of the Executive Committee to set meeting agendas and arrange meeting logistics for the Executive Committee.
Taking accurate and accessible minutes of Executive Committee meetings.
Distributing agendas, minutes and supporting documents for Executive Committee meetings.
Maintaining accurate records for the administration of the Group, District or County/Area/Region; including meeting minutes, census details, ownership of property and equipment, insurance and financial information.
Ensuring the safety and security of records maintained by the Executive Committee, complying with appropriate legal requirements.
Communicating with the Executive Committee and relevant Scout Council.
Support the completion of the Annual Census return.
Preparing the appropriate administration for the Annual General Meeting, including collating the Annual Report and Accounts for the Annual General Meeting.
General Executive Committee Responsibilities
To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the Group, District or County/Area/Region.*
Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the Group, District or County/Area/Region.
Skills for a Secretary
• Strong organisational skills
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Able to think creatively and solve problems
• Good IT skills
• Ability to summarise information for different audiences
• Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of
• Able to maintain independent and objective judgement
• Other tasks agreed with the Line Manager
The Secretary may delegate some of these tasks to other members of the Executive Committee for completion, but they must maintain responsibility for their completion.
*Terms of Eligibility for Charity Trusteeship can be found in The Scout Association’s Policy, Organisation and Rules; or by contacting the Charity Commission for England and Wales, the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland, or Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.