A key part of Scouting is ensuring that our adult volunteers are valued. This can be achieved in a number of ways. There is always the opportunity for informal thanks for a job well done but there are also a number of more formal ways of recognising good service.
First there is the locally awarded Commissioner’s Commendation Award. There are no specific criteria for this and the award is made at the discretion of the County Commissioner. If you believe that someone deserves recognition for their contribution to Scouting but does not qualify for any other award please make a recommendation via your District Commissioner.
Then there are the Scout Association Awards for Good Service, Gallantry and Meritorious Conduct.
Further details of all the awards and how you can nominate someone can be found at www.scouts.org.uk/awards
Nominations for many of the awards can be made at any time but for some, known as St George’s Day Awards, there is strict timetable. St George’s Day Awards include Silver Acorn, Bar to the Silver Acorn, and Silver Wolf. The process takes several months and all nominations for these awards must be with the Awards Board at Headquarters by the end of August.
Nominations for Award for Merit, Chief Scout’s Commendation for Good Service etc can be submitted and awarded at any time of the year.
Please submit any nominations to the County Office, for the attention of the County Commissioner or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult Awards Advisory Panel
The principle role of this panel is to
- To ensure the Association’s obligatory individual training requirements have been met for current appointment(s).
- Consider and review nominations from Groups and Districts to ensure all relevant details are provided and to forward these to the County Commissioner for approval and submission to the HQ Awards Board.
- Ensure consistency in the citations and suggest changes as appropriate. To assist in writing citations where necessary.
- Make recommendations to the County Commissioner for awards for County members, ie those with County appointments, and to consider recommending awards for members with Group and District appointments if appropriate.
- The panel will have a purely advisory role.
If you require any help with making an application for an award, please contact Richard Baker by email email@example.com